PLCAO Online Forums

Media: much debate on whether pesticides are harmful
Page 1 of 1

Author:  JPMTURF [ October 24th, 2009, 12:27 am ]
Post subject:  Media: much debate on whether pesticides are harmful

An example of not using common sense but blaming it on the Pesticide Industry.

Perspective on pesticides
Email Print Letter to Editor Share
Surrey & Area

* Pesticides are not needed
* Passing on garden pesticides
* Stop the pesticide insanity


Published: October 23, 2009 9:00 AM
Updated: October 23, 2009 9:33 AM


There is much debate on whether pesticides are harmful to the health of humans.

I have grown a family garden in this area for more than 50 years, and I am convinced pesticides are very harmful and that they are a major cause of cancer, too.

When my husband and I married, we bought a quarter-acre lot with a small house and a good-sized garden plot that had been broken up for about two years. There didn�t seem to be many garden pests.

A few years later, we started to get the carrot fly, which lays its eggs in, or on, young plants. They hatch into worms that eat into the carrot near the surface, making it uneatable unless deeply peeled.

One of my dad�s brothers gave father a few ounces of pesticide he said would keep the carrot fly away. Dad bought me a couple of ounces of his pesticide to try on my carrots.

On a windless day, when the plants were about half grown, using my thumb and two fingers I spread the pesticide lightly an inch away carrots, hoping the strong smell of the powder would discourage the fly from going near the plants.

It took about three minutes to dust the 30-foot row of carrots.

I continued my other garden work. When finished, I thoroughly washed my hands to start supper.

The next morning, I woke up with a strong horrible taste in my mouth. That taste stayed about six weeks. I decided it was likely caused from the pesticide.

The next year I thought I�d try it once more just to make sure.

I planted my 30-foot row of carrot seed in a different spot in the garden. I also wore a pesticide mask, in case there was a little breeze that might carry a minute bit of the dust to my nose and mouth.

The next morning, the horrible taste from the year before was back in my mouth. It too lasted almost two months.

I knew then it was the pesticide. Some of the pesticide must have been absorbed through the dry skin of my thumb and two fingers during the two or three minutes it took to spread the pesticide on my one row of carrots.

I dug a deep hole in the back of the garden and buried the last of the pesticide. I�ve never again had the horrible taste in my mouth.

What does his experience tell you?

I don�t think we have ever been told how powerful and dangerous pesticides can be. The person who recommended the pesticide to my father died just a few years later of cancer of the lungs.

K. Thompson, Surrey

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group